Thursday, January 16, 2014

Still No Ace

 I keep telling myself he may come back, but it gets harder and harder to stay positive. Ace has been a fixture at the farm for many years. Josh and Melissa brought him home while they lived up the yard from us and he was just so tiny! Blu dwarfed him, but not for long! Before we knew it he was rolling all the dogs like they were completely weightless. Throughout the years we have praised him and even shook our heads in disbelief at him, but still outright loved him. Through every hole dug, chicken killed and flower smushed we were putty in his paws.


I sometimes wonder why in the world I get so attached to these animals, but my heart just does as it pleases, without any forethought to how hard it will be when and if something happens. But then again, I see people post on Facebook, read their tearful pleas, and see the posters tacked here and there asking for the return of a beloved pet. Then I know that I am not alone. Somehow, a pet manages to worm their way into the inner depths of your heart, and there they stay, asking very little in return.
I know that he is a dog, and that it not comparable to losing a family member, but that does not make my heart feel any better. I still imagine him laying somewhere alone. Hurt, cold and feeling abandoned. I just want to know where he is, and if he is not with us anymore, and he has crossed the Rainbow Bridge, then I at least want to bring him home where he can be laid to rest beside his best friend Flash.

One thing is certain, we will not give up looking for Ace. I still look for his blundery self running up the driveway, or listen for the 'Whoof, Whoof, Whoof" of his flappy jaws while he is running across the field to come in for supper.  Every jingle I hear is the sound of his tags as he runs home...Don't worry Ace, there will always be a place on the porch for you, we'll leave a light on for you...For as long as it takes.


2 comments:

  1. Praying for your buddy's safe return. Animals are like that...just get right into your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he returns.
    My beloved childhood dog - Chang - was gone for a long time (2 weeks or 2 months; the story changes from time to time and i was at college unaware of the drama, so who knows) but he was found and returned home to live another 7 happy years.
    Don't lose hope.

    ReplyDelete