Monday, June 16, 2014

Summer Heat!

Who knew when we were busy freezing our booty's off on February that we would ever manage to see summer! It was so darn cold and icy that I thought I was just gona freeze over and maybe, just maybe thaw out in July!  But here we are, in the midst of all the summer rush and it is just awesome.
Here on the Backwards Homestead summer is a really busy time of year. We are haying this week, and with all of the rain we are several weeks behind, which is really frustrating. As the grass matures, the nutritional value declines. Not to mention that that the weeds take the opportunity to grow huge and who wants to eat icky weeds?! Not these animals! I do really like haying time because the fields look so pretty with their new haircuts and they hay smells SO good! Of course, that sometimes changes when we do small square bales. THAT is hard as heck to enjoy in any way shape or form...
Long way to the back of THIS field!

Lee just clicking along

Mmmm Hay! Tractor not to bad either!
But, it is not all good! We did have a mishap. The wheel bearing broke on the tractor. BOO!

Also in the summer gardening is full steam ahead. We also got a late start with all that as well, so the garden is just now starting to bear enough to start canning and pickling. This is really one of my favorite things of summer. I LOVE putting up all the bounty of summer and then popping open a can of fresh home grown veggies when the ice and snow is blowing cold! Last winter was the first year that we really ate mainly out of the pantry. Now I have jar after jar ready, sitting empty, waiting to be refilled with the summer bounty.  Today I will be canning summer squash and making dill pickles. I know, it is not politically correct to can summer squash, but it has been something my family has done for generations and I stand by my ancestors methods, lol Go squash!
I think I should have been born in a different century because I just love canning and all the other old fashioned stuff. Here is a picture of a few jars I did last year, I will get updated ones as soon as I get started!

Summer is also exciting because we usually have new babies on the farm. It is the time for hatching chickies and all sorts of littles! This summer we are expecting our first little of baby pigs. We are really excited and Charlotte is getting quite round. Soon we will have to separate her and Wilbur so the babies can be born safely. Boars are not so sweet and cuddly when their babies are born, and will sometimes kill and eat them. ICK! How rude is that!?! So, to avoid widespread carnage in the hog lot we will give Charlotte her privacy when she gets ready to give birth.

Charlotte and Wilbur! That is Her Royal Roundness in the shelter, lol


Sadly we had to take Mr. Moogurgles off to freezer camp. He was getting just too hard to handle so he and Keg made their last ride a few weeks ago. I was such a crybaby! We take our animals to the local Amish processing facility and I was so shameful in my grief that I am sure they wanted to throw homegrown veggies at me and take my self sufficiency badge!! We do love our animals, so it was very sad to see them go, but such is this lifestyle and not to mention that safety has to be considered with anything we have here on the farm. Having an angry bull charging your butt every day is not too healthy! Still, we are sad and I miss his unruly self. Keg too, as grumpy as we was too!
Flossie, Mr, Moogurgles and Keg
Our meat chickens are growing too, getting nice and plump! I actually had to harvest, butcher, murder, however you look at it, one early. He was getting big and having trouble walking. So, I did the deed. It was hard, but I had steeled myself to the fact it had to be done. He was a little small, as they still have a couple of weeks to go before they are at their prime weight. Here is a picture of the finished product!
On a lighter note, here are the rest of the meat birds, and the Turkeys being spoiled by Katrina. I know they say not to play with your food, but trina has a soft spot for all animals. I wonder where she got that trait?


Last but not least, here is a video of Trina and Madea the turkey. Madea thinks Trina is a turkey, so they scratch together every afternoon.
Well, until next time! If you are reading this, feel free to leave a comment below, I would love to hear from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment