Saturday, June 28, 2014

Summer Squash, My Favorite!

Another thing I like to put up for winter is squash. We love squash in the summer, and we love it in the winter! it is just that yummy. I canned some last week and I took a few pictures and I thought I would share for anyone who wants to see the process.
BUT, this is NOT recommended by the USDA, or anyone else I suppose. you can find information on what they do consider safe here at their site: USDA Home Canning Information .
I was brought up canning yellow squash and I just do it every summer. So, this is for informational purposes, just as a little slice of my summer. I hope you like the pictures!
Pick small squash

I slice in  1/4 to 1/2 inch slices

Cover with water and boil until just soft and pliable

Pack into jars fairly tightly, fill with water to 1/2" headspace

Add one tsp salt to each jar. Wipe jar edges, apply warmed lids and twist rings to fingertip tight.

I filled the canner and processed 30 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.
Of course, then you let the canner return to 0, open and take the jars out to cool. Basic PC 101!
So, there you go, that is how "I" become a rebel canner each and every summer. This is totally the cliff notes of summer squash canning. Like I said, it is NOT supposed to be canned, it is NOT deemed safe to can any summer squash! Although they do say you can can winter squash in cubes! Also, always remember to follow safety rules and instructions that come with your specific canner.
So I hope you enjoy the pictures and hopefully it was interesting. I personally think squash is beautiful. Squash was the first vegetable I preserved in a pressure canner so it does hold a soft spot for me. The process hold alot of memories as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment