Friday, October 31, 2014

Making Butter!

Today was butter day! Well, it was actually Tuesday, but since I have to dry off Flossie in another month I have been trying to save as much milk as I can to at least make yummy butter! If you have never made butter, then maybe this post will be a little interesting! I know it never ceases to amaze me when the cream suddenly turns into yummy yellow butter!
First, you need one of these. Well, maybe not your very own, but at least what one can give you which is cream. For me, cream comes from Flossie.
For Flossie to make delicious milk with lots of cream she needs plenty of food, such as this green grass. She will munch and munch all day long.
Yet another tractor! Mmm green green grass!
 The grass is cut, dried and rolled for her and the rest of the animals to have during the winter when the pasture is all brown and dead! Flossie gets all the hay and grass she can eat and also mixed feed twice a day.
Pud'nins trusty tractor and a nice roll of hay!
All hooked up and my goodness, look at that baby bump!
Twice a day when she has her breakfast and her supper I clean her up till she is squeaky clean, disinfect her little milk faucets and hook the milker up so it can do it's job.
Flossie gave all three gallons one warm summer morning!
 The milk goes into the house, gets strained and put into jars where it will get chilled and the cream rises to the top. Then I scoop it off, and into a bowl it goes. Well, in this case it goes into a kitchen Aid mixer bowl.
Mix Mix Mix


Butter breaking, or forming, is the coolest thing. Watch the video very carefully and you will see exactly when it goes from being cream to butter!
THEN, after you actually have butter the fun is not over.  Now you have to pour off the buttermilk, which is great in pancakes and biscuits. Then take your butter and add cold water. Stir and mash the butter under the water, changing frequently. When you stir the butter, and the water stays clear, it is washed enough. 
Now you keep mashing, and the water will work its way out of the butter. Time to add a little salt, stir well, and then store in the refrigerator. Yummy!! 
This is the butter that I keep in my fridge. Not the prettiest picture as we well, use it in cooking and since I didn't have a new bowl I just snapped a picture of the one I am using! This stuff is delicious! Spread it on one of the fluffy homemade rolls and you will be hooked for life on fresh butter!
Fluffy, yeasty, toasty and yes, buttery rolls! Yummo!

 I didn't get any pictures of the washing and pressing as it is hard to take pictures of yourself, lol One day I will try to corral some of the kids to take a picture of that process as well. The main thing I was hoping to show was the moment your cream turns to butter, which I find so fascinating! Hopefully this was at least a tiny bit interesting and if you have any questions or comments please, really, leave a comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment