Saturday, May 9, 2015

Garden time!

We finally got the garden in! Yay! Well, actually three gardens. I swear that I better get something out of all this work, or I am just going to move to town and live in an apartment! Not really, but sheesh, all that work is hard to do when the year goes to heck in a handbag and you barely have anything to harvest!
Pud'nin always makes sure that everything is ready when I need it and I sure am thankful! There is NO way I could even have a small garden without him and his trusty tractor! Thank you Pud'nin!

 Now, I will say, a communication snafu created a bit of a mess! I had Pud'nin move an old bale of hay by the garden to use as mulch last year. HE thought I meant I wanted it spread ON the garden and tilled in...So, off he went and it tangled all in the tiller. We had to spend a while getting it all pulled out and things running smoothly again! Well, live and learn! So, always tell your Pud'nin EXACTLY what you want..hehe!
This is the smallest of the three gardens. I have some lettuce, tomatoes, squash, kale, peppers, peanuts, onions, and two kinds of beans planted here. Basically the same things as in the bigger ones but in smaller amounts.

 This is the big garden that Pud'nin made me last year because the one we had used for so many years was just so cloddy and filled with clay! It is MUCH better! I did plant the potatoes, cucumbers, and popcorn here, along with the usual. I am super excited to see how the popcorn does. I have never grown it before!
 Here is the cloddy beast of a garden! This year it is totally planted in corn. Well, except for two rows of Cream Peas.  So, basically 4250 feet of Ambrosia sweet corn! It is just nothing but clods, it is awful and I get so aggravated whenever I have to plant here..
We have also been working on cleaning a few frames for another bee hive. It is a hand crampy job! But in the end it is nice to see that you can actually take something that looks like this...

 And make it look like THIS! Much better. Now only what seems like a billion left to clean!
Well, that is a small look into what has been going on at the Backwards Homestead these days! Coming soon, Strawberry Jam and then Blackberry cobbler! Yummy! Leave a comment so I know you stopped by! Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment