Saturday, May 16, 2015

That Time Of Year Again!

It is that time of year again! Can you guess what I am talking about?! Here is a hint!

Do you know yet? Well, here is one more hint!

Ok! I know you are sure by now that I am talking about HAYING season! Time to take all the grass and turn it into feed for the animals this winter. We decided to do a few square bales this year just in case we had to have an animal in the barn. Hard to put a round roll in a barn stall! We just did the small field behind the garden his time, and it was a rush as we had rain coming. We also like to have something small the first cutting because if you have ever worked with an older square baler, then you know that it takes a WHILE for it to start baling the perfect bales that you see in pictures! Well, the same applies with an older round baler, and tractor..and and and!!

So pretty!
Here you go! No telling how many were banana shaped, tied on one side or just plain ugly before this beauty slid out on the ground! It was way too green to be baling really, but the storm was coming and since it was only about 12 bales, we pushed it and went on ahead and baled. Gotta start somewhere!

Pud'nin and his trusty tractor!

Exercise time!
 This is my haying time view, lol I usually walk behind the baler keeping an eye on things, giving a thumbs up, or a thumbs down, to let Pud'nin know how things are going. I usually get plenty of exercise during hay season. Now why am I not skinny!?

Finally!
 I know it is a pain in the booty, but I sure love the look of old equipment. But since we are not rich I guess I better get to liking the looks of it anyway! But...I really do, and the sound of it clicking along is actually relaxing. When it is going smoothly that is!

GRRRR!!
 Pud'nin was not a happy camper here...This is during the "adjustment period" Only one side tied, Boo! Another thing that is no fun is this..a shear pin breaking always makes Pud'nin frown!


Boo! Not a happy sound!

Miley Girl!
Miley is helping me keep an eye on things! She is never too far from my side these days, and is really starting to wiggle her way in my heart. Stay tuned for an update on her too, things are looking up!
On another note, the bees are still toodling along. Doing great. Here are a few pictures of them one warm day.

What a Big bee!
I am thinking that large guy there in the center is a " New Bee" hehe. :) He is all fuzzy and cute and was spending his time preening, then just flew off to do whatever bee job he was born to do!
Here is a short video of the bees keeping the hive cool. Pretty ingenious!


The ones just standing there flapping their wings are the ones cooling the hive. The rest are just coming and going, busy as..well BEES! Sometimes they land right on the ones flapping, and nobody even misses a beat. They just go ahead, doing their jobs like nothing even happened!
Today it  is pretty rainy here on the Backwards Homestead. which is great! The garden has not had ONE drop of rain since it was planted. We have been packing water to the plants so they would not die, ugh! So I am pretty happy about rain! Yay!
So dry!
See! No change at all! Hopefully after the rain, we will start seeing some seedlings making their way out of the dirt. I sure hope so! I just LOVE gardening and putting all the food up for winter.
Hope you enjoyed the update, and leave me a comment if you stopped by! Until next time, be blessed and may life be gentle!









No comments:

Post a Comment