Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Walk To End Alzheimers. Why WE walk!


This coming Saturday, October 4, 2014 we will participate in The Walk To End Alzheimer's, Yay! We are pretty excited, and although we have managed to raise no money, we are undaunted! This post will be about why we are walking and the family members who shaped our lives by their walk down a very difficult path. Alzheimers disease is a disease that steals the person away, piece by piece, but there was a time when they were vibrant and full of life.

Grandaddy, Memaw and Mom! Such a happy family!

This is how I like to remember my Grandaddy. Here he is with Josh when he was a baby. He was such a sharp dresser! I remember him standing at the front of the church, leading us as we sang songs of praise from the rough brown hymnals.

Josh and Grandaddy
But as the years clicked by, Alzheimers stole him away too..
Grandaddy and Billy Ray
As bad as it sounds, I am glad that my Memaw did not have to see her daughter go through the same struggles that she watched her husband endure.
Mom and my Memaw

But I will say, My Memaw stuck by my Grandaddy till the end, and from her courage I hope to draw my own as I walk this path with Mom.
MeMaw and Grandaddy

Mom was a beautiful child, all blond curls and big eyes. All the pictures I see of her she is smiling. So full of life. It is so hard to believe that the gene that would eventually take the memories of all those happy times was already there, waiting to awaken and steal her away.

Mom in her first car! Look Out!

Mom and her duck, lol

So young!

Love! Sonny, Mom and Scherrie. Grandaddy photobombing in the background!

So pretty!

Yay, Graduation!
Mom went to dances, fancy balls, had dates, loved and was loved back. I remember looking at a frilly red dress and Mom telling me about her wearing it, and how much fun she had at the dance. I wanted to wear it so badly, but I was way to little. Years later I grew into a young lady, and could actually wear the dress. I felt like a princess. Of course there was no dance, just me twirling around my room in my Moms dress. But I will never forget that feeling.
When I was very little, mom made the most beautiful paintings. She had this brown case that had the most interesting things tucked away inside. I remember how wonderful the paints and chalks looked and smelled. Mom was so talented. I also remember sneaking into her room and playing with all those nifty paints and chalks and getting in trouble!
Mom had a hard life at times. She had another child, Billy Ray, who passed in her arms when he was only seventeen. Billy Ray had a small hernia, and during surgery he suffered a loss of oxygen causing severe brain damage due to medical malpractice. This was devastating to Mom, but she stood strong, making sure he had all that he needed and was his voice when he had none. She took such care of him and devoted herself to his care and comfort.She was strong. She was fierce when it was needed.
Mom with Billy one Christmas
Mom went to college, something she remembers to this day. She was smart, So smart! She loved gaming with the the grandkids, and doing crosswords. She loves reading, and has a massive collection of books. So many that they are in every corner of her room, and the rest of the house! 

Mom and a lap full of kiddos! Josh, Katrina and Billy Ray
I have covered many things that Mom was, and I can tell you, there is not enough room in this blog, or time left for me to tell you all the things that she was that the disease has taken from her.
But, I can say, there are so many things that Mom is now. Right now.
Mom is a mother, a friend, a Nana. She has a sense of humor, a sneaky streak and a heart that holds her family close. She loves playing with the great grandbabies, making all sorts of lego creations and drawings. She will sit still and stroke Kaelis hair when she falls asleep on her lap, draw and color for hours. She loves the cats (sometimes) and will slip Brandy bits of her supper no matter how many times we tell her that darn dog will poop in the floor if she eats "people food!) LOL!
Mom in 2012 with Kitty
Mom at Lee and Cayces wedding. Mom, Cayce, Lee, My Dad, and my other Mom.
I am blessed though, as I have my family to help me with Mom. Everyone here works so hard to make sure Mom is happy and healthy. Their love, care and kindness to Mom is without a doubt amazing. Without them I am not sure that I could manage. We may not all be blood related, but we are a family and I love them all as if they were my own. They have no idea how they make my life and Moms much fuller than I could ever imagine. My Pud'nin is also my saving grace. My strength when I have none. I thank God for them all..
Mom at her birthday this year! 70 years young!


This is why we walk on Saturday, for Mom. For the woman she was, the woman that she IS! For all the things that are forever gone. For all the things she has lost, forgotten, and misplaced. For all the ones that suffer with her. Her Dad, Rogers Dad and so many others that have had their lives slowly fade to black.
I know that this post can never even begin to cover the life of my Mom, or any of the others. Nor is it meant to be all inclusive. But I hope that it has at least given you a glimpse into what Alzheimers takes from a person, and from everyone that knows and loves them in their lives. Mom may forget. She may even forget that I am her daughter.  But as long as I am able I will be her memory. I will always be her daughter whether she knows it or not..


*For anyone who wants to support us with a donation for Saturday, here is a link to the Alzheimers.org where you can find our team. (Nanas Minions) Yea, she LOVES Despicable Me, lol  There you can  donate to our team.* Walk to End Alzheimer's

No comments:

Post a Comment