Saturday, February 8, 2014

Highs and Lows

Woke up yesterday to still more ice, I was sort of hoping that I would get out of bed and it was all a bad dream. Warmer temperatures would have been here, and the ice would be nothing but a foggy memory. Didn't happen, lol  But, it was beautiful! All sparkly and bright!





Today brought snow, lol On top of the ice! More beauty! Although,the snow can lull you into thinking the ice is gone, which is not true! Pud'nin figured that our when he tried to walk down the hill by the barn. He flailed for 5 minutes trying to get up he said, but unfortunately I was in the barn and missed the whole thing, grrr! I meant to take a picture of the aftermath, but I forgot, darn!! I did get a few pictures of the snow though, which always makes things look so neat. You can't see all the poop/mud or tons of stuff that needs putting away. It all looks all fluffy and white.



Ciskgo even had to get a nose full of the fluffiness!


The birdies were also very busy. I LOVE the way their tracks look in snow. :)


 Flossie and Eleanor are still doing great, but I know that are ready to get outside! I cannot wait for better weather, this is kinda getting old. Eleanor is about to start halter training, but don't tell her! She is not a happy girl when she cannot fun freely and jump on your feet!


Not to mention I am so sick of stall cleaning, this is the not so pleasant part of farmy stuff!

ICK!!! Poo Straw!!

Last night we celebrated Daisy's 2nd birthday at Mr. Gattis. It is hard to believe she is already two! She had a blast opening her gifts and all the grandbabies played games until we adults were ready to drag them away, lol Well, except for Jamie and Lee, those two would play games forever! It was like a flashback to when WE were the parents trying to get the kiddos to leave the games.




Yesterday also brought sad news to the farm. We checked on Charlotte, our new piggie, and she had lost her babies. I am not sure what happened, but it probably had something to do with the brutal weather. I always hate when we have a loss on the farm, but such is the life. I knew she was acting like it was soon, but also knew it was too early. She had blood on her booty when I fed last night and when I looked in her shelter there was a half eaten baby. This morning we found 3 more in a similar condition. As icky as it sounds, that is how animals dispose of things like this, and it also serves as nourishment for Charlotte after birth. Nature takes no prisoners, and does not give a hoot about political correctness, lol It makes me sad, but like I say, farm life is not all fuzzy bunnies and fluffy chicks. Reality will find you quickly, and rub your nose in the real facts of life. But we all know that where there is livestock, there is deadstock. Harsh, but just part of the circle of life. Hopefully we can find her a mate and start over. If not...Well, I am going to think about that later, not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment